Monday, November 29, 2010

On Gratitude.

For over twenty years I've been living at or visiting my grandparents' house in Lahaina.  I've ate countless meals on dishes that have been used time and time again.  I've helped out in the kitchen oodles of times, so much that I could tell you where that spatula, wooden spoon, or electric beaters are located without giving it a second thought.  This Thanksgiving was no different.  Bring out the old MAC knife (sharpened so many times that there's a crack in it) from the left hand drawer, grab the blue plastic cutting board from under the sink, chop the potatoes, place them in the metal pot with the black handles and put it on the stove.  Same old, same old.

It wasn't until I was washing the dishes that I took notice of something I had never before.  I examined the plates.  I know it sounds silly, but I really took a good look at them and noticed their intricacies.  Unlike families on TV, my grandparents do not own matching sets of plates - unless you count those cheap blue and white ones from Longs (you Hawaii people know which ones I'm talking about).  It seems that they have a collection of random plates each with its own character.  One in particular that I absolutely love was made in Japan ... according to the red stamp on the bottom of the plate.  The black, glossy bottom is smooth and cool to the touch.  The top of the plate is beige and textured with indentations - almost like a lava rock.  Black chrysanthemums, bamboo, and butterflies are etched into the top of the plate in beautiful simplicity.  I wish I had taken a picture because my description does not begin to describe how pretty this plate is.

The strange thing is that I've eaten off of this plate before.  I guess I just never took time to appreciate it for what it is.

In reflection, I realized that I may do the same to my family.  I see them so often, pass through the house, say hi, say bye, talk story.  I need to show my gratitude for all of the advice, the direction, discipline, happy times, and for all that they provide. 

Like the plates, my gratitude for their love is always there, but I need to take the time to show it.  To say thank you.  To ask about their past.  To learn about our ancestors.  To show I care.  Though Thanksgiving day seems to bring out the sentimental side of me, as does the holiday season, this type of gratitude should be shown all year long.

To my family - thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment