Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Forever Young

This is the boy who would never grow up - Peter PanHere he is in all of his glory, standing frozen in time in Kensington Gardens.  I totally understand why he wouldn't want to grow up ... especially if Neverland really looked like this:




Today, we visited the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground.  Here I am getting in touch with my inner child (although it doesn't take too much to get it out) - most of the embarrassing photos/videos were taken by classmates, while I was busy acting foolish.  The best thing about the playground is that it is strictly for kids and their caretakers.  Adults are only allowed on the premises if they have a child they are accompanying or during limited hours from 9:30 am - 10:00 am.  Although this meant that I only had a half an hour to frolic through this magical, musical wonderland, I think it's a great rule.  Children should be able to cherish their childhood without "grown-ups" taking over.

~~~~~~~~

This got me thinking ... if I had the choice, would I go to Neverland?  Although the idea of being forever young is quite enticing, I don't think I would choose to because my life would only be viewed from the lens of one age.  Take this whole study abroad trip, for example.  When I first went out of country, it was to Japan with one of my best friends.  I was probably around 11 or 12.  I don't remember much of the historical importance of the places we went, and I am unsure of the cultural value of the temples we visited or sights we saw.  I was more interested in running through the rice paddys and poking fun at the way many of the locals were dressed.  This of course, was totally acceptable for a young adolescent.

As I reflect on the past few weeks, I remember all that I have seen, experienced, and learned.  I am taking with me a greater respect for England, as well as an appreciation and curiosity for the histories I've learned here.  I am taking note of interesting conversations my brilliant classmates and I have shared so I can study up on them upon my return to Hawai'i.  The lens of a 26 year old is still kind of fuzzy.  Life doesn't seem to be in focus, and everyone still seems to know more than I.  This is okay, though.  I will catch up, grow up, and embrace all that I have learned along the way. 

One day.

Still young at heart and mind -- Tara, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment