Monday, July 19, 2010

So Much to Do ...

Just when I thought that I figured out what parts of London I wanted to see more of, this happened:


We took a coach around some of the major sights in London.  I'm not going to lie, I was a little disappointed that we weren't riding in a red double-decker bus.  Although we've covered many miles on our footmobiles, it seems like we really haven't put a dent in the whole of London.   Liz, our tour guide and Lee, expertly navigated us throughout the city.  This made me realize how many layers this city has, and how rich in culture and heritage it is.
Although I won't be able to understand a lot of London, I will try to experience as much as possible during my time here - and chat with as many people as possible about it.  The only perspective we have about a place is the one we create in our head.  In order to shape and round out that perspective is to learn from others.  Sure did a lot of that today.

Just a couple of favorites from today:


The architecture here will never cease to blow my mind.  Here you have the Tower Bridge in the background and an ultra modern building in the foreground.  A panoramic view shows alternating modern and historic buildings.  I learned that there was a huge fire in 1866, which burned down 80% of the city.  Rather than replacing the entire damaged building, architects kept the original foundations, and built from there.  In essence, these are the same buildings from hundreds of years ago - down to the roots.


On a more regal note, here is Buckingham Palace.  Beautiful, isn't it?  Although the Queen does not really spend much time here, it just screams that there is royalty inside.  An interesting tidbit about the flowers.  They are chosen because they match the color of the palace guards' uniforms.  I didn't realize that the guards are really trained soldiers.  They dislike having palace duty, and essentially, being a spectacle for the tourists. 





This guard couldn't have been more than 16 years old.  When too many people start crowding, the soldiers start marching back and forth, so that their backs are turned part of the time.  I don't blame them for getting upset - I would be too if someone was constantly trying to make me laugh and taunt me.  How many people do you think has tried the "Red Robin ... Yumm" on him?  Over time, they must develop a tough outer skin.  This guy was getting quite irritated - I could have sworn I saw him cussing.  The other guard was a little older - he seemed to be able to block out the flashing cameras, rolling film, and excited chattering.





Another face of London would be the fashion scene.  After the bus tour a few of the gals set out to find Spitalfields, a crafty open-air market.  There were just a couple of my favorite pieces.  The first is a vest made out of recycled ties.  The second is a dress made out of shirts.  Amazing!  I would love to own one of these pieces, but at 60 pounds each, I'll have no spending money if I splurge.  So, if you can sew me one of these ... contact me :).

Tomorrow we will be the first official day of class.  Although I hear that it's really touristy, I am quite excited to take a ride on the London Eye.  Until then, toodles!


No comments:

Post a Comment